Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Grand Canyon R2 (or R3?) - October 2007, Part 3

I look up to the lighter shades of the shales and sandstones of the North Rim – still have to move through an entire geologic period; I hope it doesn’t last that long….. or perhaps I do. Some sections flatten out – I run for 10 yards here, 20 yards there – on the downhills and flats. No chance on the uphills – back to “power” hiking. Not here, it’s turned into a survival walk. The human contact has increased and the temperature has decreased as I near the top. Just keep moving I tell myself, though I realize I haven’t been in the mood to eat since well below the Supai Tunnel. But I notice the trail widen as the flora changes ever-so-slightly. What’s that sound??? A truck. I’m near a road. The North Rim parking lot and entry road? Oh, has civilization ever sounded better? I think not.

And suddenly, a trailhead sign, an entrance sign, a port-a-potty, and a familiar face – Johnny O. And I’m done, for today. It’s about 8:40am.

I decide to call it good at a successful R2. I’ve made it 21 miles, down about 4,700 vertical feet, then up almost 5,700 vertical feet. I’m cramped and cold. I am only able to stretch about 3 or 4 minutes until I start shivering. I take to the warm confines of John’s car. Kirk arrived around 8am and also decided to call it a day; he was crashed in the front seat. Chris arrived at about 8:20. As I got in the back seat next to Chris, he had a banana in one hand, Gatorade in the other, he was recharging his Garmin battery, and had a look on his face that I could not fathom nor comprehend at that moment in time. Without saying a word, he told me he was heading back out to complete his R3. At about 9am, he re-entered the sometimes friendly, sometimes ominous, always Grand environs of the Grand Canyon via the North Rim on the North Kaibab Trail once more – this time reversing everything he’d done over the previous 7 hours.

John then drove off with 2 very tired, but safe, R2 finishers, on our way back to the South Rim 200+ miles away by vehicle (10 miles as the crow flies). And oh, what a ride. We arrived back by about 2:00 or so, I ate some – limped around a bit trying to loosen up. And there in the South Rim parking lot were those 3 R3-ers from Idaho looking rather chipper considering what they’d just done – their first half. We exchanged some gleeful banter (they thought I’d turned around and finished already – that was a momentary ego boost). I ‘fessed up on my successful R2/unsuccessful R3 and they offered some positive words of encouragement for me to keep in mind when I decide to try this divine madness again. Meanwhile, unbeknownst to the ladies that we took the Sag Wagon back, Veener had already headed down the Bright Angel Trail to bring me back up the last few miles. The first couple water stops on the trail had been turned off, and being the sensible one she is, had already headed back up. I bumped into her around ½ - ¾ mile down the trail and she did a double-take and couldn’t quite figure how I’d passed her. I was too mentally drained to perpetuate the joke, so I came clean with my one-way-only-journey and we proceeded back up to the top of the South Rim.

I watched The Idaho R3’ers head out and back down the Bright Angel Trail on the second half of their journey – they were making it look easy. Back to our group, I will let Chris fill in his own details of the hours between 9am and 5:30pm, but, as John and I stood on the South Rim, we successfully greeted Travis at about 5pm and at about 5:15 or 5:20, Chris came into view. Gone were his running tights, replaced by shorts (the Canyon floor reached about 90 degrees that afternoon), and a yellow shirt and hat. A successful R3 was had. Linda successfully came in around 8:45 that night as John hiked down to meet her soon after Chris’ triumphant re-entrance to the South Rim at 5:30 or so. All safe, all tired, all sore, all successful. As far as the R3, and then there was one………… congrats Chris!

What went through my head on top the North Rim? I’m pretty sure I could have made it back down the North Rim. I may have made it back to Cottonwood Campground. There was a slight possibility of actually walking back into Phantom Ranch. But then there’s this climb back up the Bright Angel Trail – another 9 or 10 miles covering about 4,300 vertical feet to get back atop the South Rim. That was not happening. The thing is – all those parts are a package deal; if any part of that is not a sure thing (nothing truly is down there), or there is more doubt than realistic confidence, you don’t go back. Period. The Canyon is a beautiful and unforgiving place. If you’re lucky, it will chew you up and spit you out on your own 2 feet with all (most) mental capacity still intact. If you’re unlucky, the Rangers or Search and Rescue will find you and you spend an unhappy night at a campground somewhere. There’s no reason to venture beyond the limits of the former. The employees and volunteers who assist, rescue, or worse – recover – those who were unprepared or simply unlucky, have a hard enough job. It is each individual’s duty to ensure those good people don’t have to assist or rescue you. But to push your own limits, within reasonable boundaries, is fine – just stay in regimented control as long as you can. Oh, by the way, I will be making another R3 attempt next year. And next time, I’ll almost know what to expect, having been there before. But anything goes in the Canyon and one must be prepared.

Happy Trails!

1 comment:

Mark said...

Awesome, David T. Awesome.